Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Review from an Anonymous Blogger

"Bangkok After Hours" - Chris Coles
I recently came across the following comment/review by an anonymous blogger which I thought was very insightful and quite interesting:

“Chris Coles paintings and artwork is very striking I guess I would say.  They remind me of Zappa lyrics...'gross and perverted, obsessed and deranged'.  His colors are so primitive and their throbbing clash on your eyes and senses ooze a sense of darkness, of evil even.  Yet, they are almost playful at times and amusing as well.  His work reminds me of what I expect to see when I am fairly obliterated and moving aside the thick velvet curtain of the umpteenth 'next' gogo bar, the one I know I should not go in, but enter I do. You know, the bar with the katoey mamasan with the garish make-up that glows under the black lights that scares the bejesus out of you as his/her face looms in your drunken blurry field of vision.  Coles captures the extra-dimensional feel of the Thailand nightlife.  His work occupies another zone of existence.  It's so ugly at times it is intriguing in a perverse way that makes one want to embrace it.  If you know what I mean? Maybe not....” 

Labels: , ,

Artist Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory